In twenty-five years, Michael Curry has achieved an international reputation as a master of puppetry and kinetic theatrical design. He creates iconic, exhilarating, profoundly moving performance experiences for such global entertainment brands as The Walt Disney Company, Cirque du Soleil, Universal Studios and The Olympics, as well as many international opera and stage companies. Visualist directors such as Julie Taymor, William Friedkin and Robert LePage and production designers like Mark Fisher seek out Michael to join his vision with theirs to create entertainment events that define art, excellence and imagination for our time.
To realize his extraordinary creations, Michael created Michael Curry Design, a performance and show content producer composed of a core team of approximately fifty artists and technicians that is recognized as among the finest studios in the world. Here, visionary designs meet state-of-the-art performance technologies, many of which are unique to this facility. Michael Curry Design provides a full spectrum creative process - from initial concept, design, fabrication and manufacture to product delivery, installation and performance training.
THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY
- The Lion King on Broadway - Walt Disney Theatrical, Ltd. Co-designer with Julie Taymor, masks and puppets; 1998 Tony Awards including Best Costume. New York, Tokyo, Osaka, Toronto, London, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Johannesburg, and two national tours.
- Finding Nemo at Walt Disney World - Disney Creative Entertainment; Puppet Design.
- Aladdin Live Show - Disney California Adventure Hyperion Theater; directed by Francesca Zambello; Puppets & Special Effects.
- Superbowl 2000 Halftime Show - Walt Disney Entertainment; Puppet & Scenic Design.
- Epcot’s Tapestry of Nations Millennium Walk 2000 - Puppet design & fabrication, Walt Disney World.
- Disney's "World On Ice" Beauty & the Beast - Puppet & Costume Mechanics.
- Disneyland's Celebration of the Lion King Parade - Mechanical Animation Design & Puppet Fabrication.
- Disney's Buena Vista Pictures' Show West - Puppet Mechanics & Design.
- Walt Disney World's Lion King Stage Show - Mechanical Animation Design & Puppet Fabrication.
- Disney's Pocahontas Stage Show - Puppet Mechanics & Design.
- MGM/Disney's Toy Story Parade - Mechanical Animation, Puppet Design & Fabrication.
- Tokyo DisneySeas Little Mermaid Show - Design & Puppet Fabrication of Ursula character, giant four-person robotic puppet.
- Disneyland's Fantasmic! Show - Design & fabrication.
- Walt Disney World's Hunchback of Notre Dame - Character design & puppet fabrication.
- Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary Parade - Mechanical animation design & fabrication.
- Disneyland and Walt Disney World Hercules Parade - Technical design & fabrication.
- Disney’s Hercules promotion - Design & fabrication, Hydra puppet for Buena Vista Pictures.
- Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom Opening Ceremony & Jungle Book - Puppet design & fabrication.
- Disney’s California Adventure Park Eureka parade & opening ceremonies - Art Direction, design & fabrication, scenic design & floats.
- Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom’s Mickey’s Jammin' Jungle Parade - Puppet Designer.
- Disney's "World on Ice" Aladdin - Puppet & Costume Mechanics.
- Tokyo DisneySeas Mermaid Theater - Mechanical animation design, fabrication & costumes.
- Euro Disney’s Animagique Show - Art Director, Puppet Designer.
- Tokyo DisneySeas Mythica Parade - Puppet Designer.
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
- Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour (Opening 10/2011)
- Wintuk - Character Design.
- KA at MGM Las Vegas directed by Robert LePage - Puppet Design.
- The Beatles: LOVE at Mirage Las Vegas directed by Dominic Champagne - Puppet Design.
- Criss Angel beLIEve at Luxor Las Vegas - Illusion Designer.
- The Magic Flute directed by Julie Taymor at the Metropolitan Opera - Puppet & Mask Design.
- Bluebeard’s Castle directed by William Friedkin at the LA Opera - Puppet Designer.
- Grendel directed by Julie Taymor at the LA Opera - Puppet & Mask Co-Design with Julie Taymor.
- The Magic Flute Washington DC Opera 1990 - Costume & Mechanics Design.
- Oedipus Rex Saito Kinen Festival - Seiji Ozawa, Conductor. Technical Direction & Design.
- Die Zauberflote Maggio Musicale, Florence, Italy - Zubin Mehta, Conductor. Co-Designer, Masks & Sculptures.
- The Makropulos Case directed by William Friedkin - Maggio Musicale, Florence, Italy.
- Tales of Hoffman directed by William Friedkin - Theater an der Wien, Vienna, Austria.
- LeRossignol directed by Robert LePage at Lyon Opera - Puppet Designer.
- Ludwig II at Festspielhaus Neuschwanstein in Fussen, Germany - Set & Costume Designer.
- AIDA directed by William Friedkin at Teatro Regio in Torino, Italy - Puppet Designer.
- Ariadne auf Naxos for LA Opera
- The Pied Piper American Ballet Theatre; David Parsons, choreographer - Puppet Designer.
- The Nutcracker Oregon Ballet - Costume Puppet Mechanics.
- The Visit Roundabout Theater NYC 1994 - Mask Designer.
- Crazy For You Costume Design by William Ivey Long; 1992 Tony Award (Best Costumes) Costume Mechanics.
- Michael Curry’s Spirits - Producer, Director, Designer.
- Kiss of the Spider Woman 1993 Tony Award (Best Musical) - Costume Mechanics for Chita Rivera.
- His Dark Materials The Royal National Theater directed by Nicholas Hytner - Puppet & Character Design.
- Spamalot - Puppet Consultant.
- Harris Productions, Las Vegas - Technical design & fabrication of large-scale Octopus & Peacock characters.
- Busch Gardens' Katonga, Tampa Florida - Design & fabrication.
- Batman Stunt Spectacular, Six Flags Great Adventure - Production Design.
- Universal’s Islands of Adventure Theme Park, “The Lost Continent" Black Box Theater Show Merlin’s Magic Box - Concept development & pre-design.
- Universal Studios Osaka Jurassic Park III Parade - Puppet Designer.
- 2002 Olympic Opening & Closing Ceremonies - Production Designer.
- 1996 Olympics Opening Ceremonies
- 2010 Vancouver BC Winter Olympics Logo Unveiling - Production Design & Development.
LAS VEGAS / INTERNATIONAL CASINOS
- Kinetic Atrium - Co-Design with Steve Wynn & Mark Fisher
- Wynn Macau Prosperity Tree & Dragon of Fortune
- Wynn Las Vegas Lake of Dreams - Art Director, Live Theatrical Lake Features
- Siegfried & Roy, Las Vegas - Mechanical Animation Design of costumes & devices.
- Production Designer, 160 puppets & props, New York City’s Times Square 2000 Millennium Celebration.
- Production Design, World Stunt Awards 2005, in Los Angeles.
- Interior Design, Executive Wing, Polygram Records, NYC Power of Wonder exhibit: four interactive pieces.
- Art Director, EXPO 1986 (World's Fair) Vancouver BC
- Design & fabrication, Nintendo’s Star Wars exhibit ’99 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Atlanta.
- Puppet Design, Ringling Bros. Circus.
- Puppet Design & Fabrication, Will Vinton Studios.
- Puppet Design & Fabrication, Atlanta Center for the Puppetry Arts Museum,.
- Mask Technical Direction & Fabrication of Puppets, Super Live Adventures, Lucas Film, Tokyo, Japan.
- Production Designer, Aeros, AGR Associati, Milano, Italy.
- Puppet Designer, Salto Natale – Swiss Circus
FEATURE FILMS / TELEVISION
- Costume design & fabrication, Universal Studios' How the Grinch Stole Christmas directed by Ron Howard
- Hat effects designer, The Cat in the Hat Movie by Universal Pictures
- Character Art Director, Fool's Fire, American Playhouse, PBS, Julie Taymor, Director.
- Puppet design & fabrication, Jive Records, mechanical armored puppet army for Britney Spears’ performance during the 2000 Grammy Awards